During today’s nap time, I decided to dust off the sewing machine and make myself a new nursing drape. I only had one and it was a hand-me-down. I thought it would be nice to have two and at least one that shows off my personality! I have lots of fabric just sitting around waiting to become something!
First things first: the pattern. I copied the shape of the hand-me-down drape and modified it. I made the neck hole a tad smaller and the wings a tad wider. I used butcher paper that was used as packing material. I just smoothed out the wrinkles and taped up any holes.
After tracing and modifying, I cut out the pattern piece:
I picked out some fabric that I have been dying to use for something!
That’s right. Soosh! I folded the pattern in half since my fabric had a center fold. Down the road, I may use this pattern piece again so having the option to have it folded or as one whole piece is nice.
Now the fun-not-so-fun part. The edging! Next time, I will just get some binding but I wanted to whip this up before Spawnbeast woke up so I used some ribbon and spent A LOT of time hand creasing and pinning…
Now the actual fun part: the sewing. I used a regular stitch to get the edge on the fabric and then two passes of zig-zag to make sure the edge was perfect. I was worried it would look sloppy, but thankfully it looks neat-o:
Pardon the lack of make-up, I didn’t leave the house today. My modifications worked. The little guy couldn’t kick away the drape and he could still see. Hopefully he will learn to love Soosh by fabric-osmosis.
I finished this in less than one nap time (anywhere from 45 minutes to three hours. Today it was an hour.) Maybe I should crank these out and sell them!